Look, we’re fine with throwaway running sunglasses. The kind you can bang up, scratch up, leave at the bar, lose at a race, etc. But sometimes it’s just nice to have running eyewear. Sunglasses that are modern and timeless at once, able to exude style and embody quality craftsmanship while retaining a top-tier level of performance.
There are very few companies that scratch that itch. Article One, an independent eyewear company based in Michigan, is one of them. Having partnered with prep-darling Tracksmith in the past, they’re not totally new to running collaborations. So it would only make sense they’d branch out into their current project with Ciele, the cool-kid Canadian apparel company known for their throwback run caps and apparel with distinct nods to 80s styling.
An idea born in the hot Las Vegas desert, the companies worked together to release the AO X Ciele GTGlass, a line of aviator-style sunglasses in three colorways that hearken back to the heydays of pop-80s fashion.
We received the eyewear last week and let me tell ya– they haven’t left our eyes and necks. When we first opened the box, we knew we were in for a treat. The glasses were delivered in an impact-resistant molded carry case wrapped in recycled PET fabric with a carabiner-style clip, waterproof zip, and Ciele detailing.
Holding them, the quality was instantly recognizable. And for good reason– the frames are made in Italy with TR90 polymer plastic, an incredibly durable, lightweight, and hypoallergenic material.
Putting them on, the comfort on the nose is great, with silicone nose pads and an internal wire core skeleton that can mold them to your bridge.
And then there are the frames, Italian-made CR-39 polarized lenses with 100% UVA/UVB protection that prevent road glare, as well as anti-reflective coating on the backside.
Thomas especially loved the Red Rocks colorway, eyewear fit for a 21st century Cyclops (the X-Man, not the mythical beast). These speak to that desert-Vegas soul. Robbe and Aldren got the Wallace International, a tan colorway that will fit right in while you’re poolside at The Palms. The eyewear also comes in a classic-black Whitaker colorway for the less adventurous/low-key sleek runners out there.
On the run, they perform great, especially with the included custom-retainer strap with reflective elements. It’s pretty much impossible to get any bounce when the strap is combined with the moldable nose pads for security. Is it wrong that this is one of my favorite things about the sunglasses? It’s just a strap, but I love it. It shows that they really thought the product through when it comes to runners.
Like I already mentioned, the styling is superb. The aviator look is forever timeless and cool, but removing the lower lens frame gives it a unique and updated look that will help the GTGlass stand out from your average aviator. You also have a Ciele nameplate on the bridge that can be popped out if you so desire (we prefer to keep it in).
I also love the spring-loaded hinges on the arms, because my kids will inevitably find these at some point and try to put them on.
Now, if you want quality you’re going to pay for it. The GTGlass comes in at $275, so yeah, you may not want to take these on your 50-mile ultra race. But for those group runs when you really want to bring some heat that can’t be beat, the GTGlass will deliver.
But really, this is eyewear that you should buy for the true long run, the one that last years and years. And if you’ve learned nothing else in this review, know that every once in awhile, something good happens in Vegas and– lucky for us– doesn’t stay there.
You can pick up the AO x Ciele GTGlass at the shop link below.Shop AO x Ciele
• Durable and lightweight TR90 polymer plastic frame
• Size: 60|15|145 (lens width/bridge width/temple length)
• Spring hinges for better fit
• Customizable silicone nose pads with internal wire core that adjusts to best bridge size
• Silicone pads on the temple tips to add grip behind the ear
• Italian made CR39 polarized lenses made by Divel that offer 100% UVA/UVB rays plus a front side and back side anti-reflective coating
• Silicone insert on the front that can be removed for a more classic aviator style
• Custom eyewear retainer strap for an extra secure fit for off-road runs and added reflective detailing for night runs.
• The back side of the glasses has an extra anti-reflective coating to counteract any reflection coming from the eye. spring hinges allow for give and bounce back in case of rough wear.
• Polarized lenses cut road glare.
• Every pair of the GTGlass is delivered in an impact-resistant molded carry case wrapped in recycled PET fabric with clip, waterproof zip and Ciele detailing