When I opened the box I was excited to see that Merrell had sent a pair of Trail Gloves in a fun color. The name of the color is “Dark Cheddar.” I enjoy getting a bright shoe like this one dirty. When I first tried the shoe on I thought maybe I had the wrong size. The heel hit snuggly, the mid-foot was secure, the arch seemed to be in the right place, but there seemed to be a lot of room in the toe box and in the distance between the front of the shoe and my toes. While running, the shoe felt like the perfect size. During the run I found the toe box to be perfect for toe splay. The extra room in the front also came in handy protecting my toes from stubbing on rocks and roots. The traction on the bottom handled both the smooth parts of the trail and the more technical sections. I always felt in control. I went into the 8-mile trail run with no expectations, and soon found myself having a lot of fun with the shoes. I felt light and nimble ready to take on the hills and valleys we were running through. After awhile I did start to get some irritation from running over small rocks and debris. It might be something you can work up a tolerance for, as your feet get tougher. There was about a half mile of road running that we did to get to the trailhead. I had no issues running on the road with the Merrell Trail Gloves.
While I really enjoyed running in the Trail Glove, I am not sure it would be enough shoe for me in distances over ten miles.* I could change my mind as I get more miles in on them. If I do I will let you know. The Trail Glove will be the first shoe I grab out of the closet for barefoot trail running. The connected feeling to the trail created an extra element of enjoyment I wasn’t expecting.
* Update: I ran over 11 miles in the Trail Gloves today and they felt great. Another enjoyable trail run.
Side note: I ran with a very thin pair of Wright Socks
Check out RunBlogger’s Merrell Trail Glove review too.
• Microfiber and breathable air mesh upper
• Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing system secured with welded TPU provides a precise, glove-like fit
• Fused rubber toe bumper provides ultimate durability
• Synthetic leather rear foot sling provides stability
• Flexible plate in the forefoot protects the foot from stone bruises
• Non-removable microfiber footbed treated with Aegis® antimicrobial solution resists odor
• 4mm compression molded EVA midsole cushions
• 1mm forefoot shock absorption plate maintains forefoot flexibility and protects the foot by distributing pressure
• 0mm ball to heel drop keeps you connected to your terrain
• Wash as needed in cold water, gentle cycle and air dry
• Vibram® Trail Glove Sole/ Rubber Compound TC-1
Men’s Weight: 6.2 ozs / 175.8 gm (1/2 pair)