Meaghan: Like a debauched fraternity brother, these shoes scream ‘I wanna party’. Puma combined 360 degrees of reflectivity with an LED light along the tongue to make some of the brightest (and safest) shoes out on the market right now. Similar to the Mobium Elite Speed we just tested, the Mobium Ride features the same general technology (the elasticized figure 8 band, expansion pods, Windless Chassis, etc) and a very similar design. The upper is super flexible and features a highly padded tongue and collar for added comfort. Unlike the Elite, the Puma Ride was intended for a heel-striker (my kind of people). I didn’t notice a huge difference between the two, but they did seem slightly less abrasive to my stride. I’m not sure if it was the structure of the shoe or the brightly lit uppers that distracted me from my overall gait.
The Puma NightCat Jacket is awesome. It’s comfortable, lightweight and fits perfectly. The back has laser cut holes for breathability and comes with two zipped pockets for carrying small items. It’s perfect for extra windy days or when you just need an extra layer to throw over a tech tee.
Thomas: I expected the shoe to be a gimmick with the LED light etc. The shoe is a real running shoe. The upper fits well around the arch and forefoot. The firm ness of the shoe makes it a little faster than you might expect. The major features of the shoe are the LED light on the tongue which is highly visible and at quite a distance, and the Mobium technology. The Mobium band in this shoe is not as noticeable as it is in the Mobium Elite Speed, but you can feel the springyness.
The Puma Pure PR Jacket is the real deal. First the jacket fits me perfect. I like the way I look in it, and that is important. Sleeves, waist, and neck all hit perfect for me. I wear a size medium and I am 5’11”. The jacket explodes with reflectivity when hit with a flash or headlights. Between the shoes and the jacket they will see you coming. The cool thing with the jacket is when it is not reflecting it looks like a normal jacket. Puma laser cut some holes on the back of the jacket to help it breathe. I ran in it this morning in 50ish degrees Fahrenheit, with a little drizzle the jacket performed well. I didn’t get too hot and felt comfy the whole time.
Meaghan: I could use some softer insoles in this shoe. The Mobium line doesn’t come with a whole lot of give and the firm outsole had me itching for some softer cushioning underfoot.
I love this jacket and there is really nothing that needs to be changed. BUT, the lining around the sleeves and waist is some sort of doily-looking lace that I could really do without. It’s such a badass jacket… with some unnecessary frilly stuff around the edges.
Thomas: The Mobium NightCat felt a little too stiff for my taste. The heel counter could use some fine tuning. I can’t put my finger on the exact issue, but I did have some heel lift.
Meaghan: I think it’s safe to say that bright, bold shoes are in this year. Puma went the extra step with reflectivity and LED lights to provide an added layer of safety and a little bit of crazy. It’s hard not to enjoy these shoes – they’re fun. While I wouldn’t put this shoe into my daily rotation, I’ll certainly pick them up for some shorter, fun runs. The Puma Mobium Nightcat weighed in at 9.15 for the size 7.5
I LOVE the Puma NightCat Jacket. It’s the perfect extra layer for your brisk morning runs.
Thomas: Safety first, and you will certainly be seen in this gear. The jacket is one of my favorites, and I have a lot of jackets. If you love the Mobium platform and want a shoe with 360º of reflectivity try the Mobium NightCat. The men’s Mobium Nightcat weighed in at 10.85 oz. for size 10.5.
- 360 degree of reflectivity and a blue LED light on the tongue for low light conditions
- Specifically designed for the everyday runner who is a midfoot striker
- Lace closure for a snug fit
- Molded PUMA Supreme Ride EVA sockliner with forefoot flex grooves, minimal arch support, and an excellent ride underfoot
- Windlass Chassis changes in length, height, and proportion along with your foot’s natural movement
- Expansion Pods located on the forefoot outsole provide cushioning, protection, and flexibility exactly where you need it
- Finely tuned, elasticized Mobium Band runs through the outsole in a figure 8 pattern, working dynamically like your foot’s tendons: the more force applied, the more spring it returns
- Outsole utilizes PUMA’s EverRide+, now lighter and with enhanced cushioning and durability for a smoother toe-off
- EverTrack high abrasion resistant rubber featured in high wear areas of outsole for added durability
- PUMA Formstrip at lateral side; PUMA Cat Logo at medial side
- Mobium Ride callout at tongue
- Advantage Fit callout at lateral side heel